Monday, May 18, 2009

Boy Vs. Girl

We are getting close to picking up our puppy. This Thursday is the day that we go to pick him/her up! We are so excited and have been running around trying to make sure everything is in place for when the puppy gets home. The breeder choose the lighter red male to keep so that leaves the dark boy and the girl. I have always wanted a girl and Husband wants a boy.

What is the real difference between a boy and a girl besides the obvious one? I don't know why both of us want the same sex as we are. Is that a normal thing to be drawn to your own sex? I know breeds may have standard characteristics for boys and girls but we are getting whatever we have fixed, so I heard it may not even matter at that point.

The main reason I want a girl is that I don't like the boys "thing", as childish as that sounds. I also am not the biggest fan of humping and the boy marking on everything it sees. I also have stereotypical thoughts that boys would be more aggressive and not as cuddly.

The main reason Husband wants a boy is that he wants a "buddy". I don't know why he thinks a girl cant be his buddy but in his own male mind I guess it doesn't work that way. He also thinks Wrigley is a boys name. He has some sound reasoning for wanting a boy (lots of sarcasm here).

The breeder has said that both of their personalities are similar. Not dominant but not submissive. They both are outgoing and love people. She took some videos of them separately and she dropped something or threw a toy so that we could see how they reacted. She also held them like a baby and touched them in the mouth and on the paws. They both handled the tests beautifully.

So we are stuck. It all comes down to meeting them in person and seeing which one we like the best and that likes us the best. It is interesting if people pick their dog by what sex they want or if they go straight off personality. Since in the end I really think that it comes down to the personality.

3 days from now we will know if personality or sex or both wins out in our puppy decision.