Sunday, September 27, 2009

Neuturing

Sorry that the picture is graphic of my dogs thing but I am trying to show what his neutering looked like after surgery.

We took him in to get the balls cut. Well I thought pleural but as it turned out one of Wrigley's balls did not drop so they said they have to make another incision in his abdomen to retrieve the other ball! Yikes, poor dog not only does he get one cut but a second one. Poor me, it costs more money to retrieve the missing ball. The condition is called Cryptorchidism, which just means one or both balls did not descend. Im glad we picked him since he would not have been a show dog for our breeder. We do have some fun new nicknames for him though, Unaballer and Numero Uno.

Overall the whole neutering thing went well. I didn't cry or anything when I dropped him off. I felt a little bad but nothing over dramatic. When we picked him up I thought he was going to be so out of it but he really seemed fine, just ready to leave. He practically ran out of the vets office. He was definitely tiered and bummed with us on the couch but he was running around like crazy the next day. He also did not have an issue with going potty.

We bought a cone for his head but he never was licking that much and whenever we would catch him he would stop right away. It was funny though he learned to go out in the back yard to do it since we don't watch him as much. Whenever we would look out the windows he would be licking away. I think it also helped that we had 4 days of being home with him to watch him.

Later in the week his abdomen incision looked a little red and opened. We called the vet and they saw us right away. They said it wasn't infected but he may be licking too much. So we had to stop letting him outside every time he wanted to go so we could keep an eye on him better.

As of a month later everything with the abdominal one is completely closed and fine. I cant believe that we never put a cone on his head. I'm a little sad that we never did get a silly picture of him with a cone. All and All it was a way easier experience than I thought it was going to be.