Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Food Dispensing Toys




I love food dispensing toys!

More importantly Wrigley enjoys them. The first one that we gave him was the Everlasting Fun Ball. You can stick treats in it big or small and they have to roll the ball around to get them out. We usually put two bigger bones in the opening so he has to get those out first to get the rest. He does have a hard time getting the bigger treats out that I cram inside.

Then I tried the Bob-a-Lot. Its a great toy that he loves. You can put lots of dog food and/or treats in it. It has two openings and you can adjust the size of the openings. He does great at pushing it around and getting the treats out. It is so nice to have something that keeps him busy and entertained. I also have heard if your dog eats too quickly that it is a great product to help slow them down. It is a more expensive dog toy though around $20. Wrigley doesn't destroy many toys so I cant weigh in on how it holds up. This is my favorite!

Next up on my food dispensing toys trial was the Buster Cube. I like that there are different sizes since Wrigley is small. I only have used it once and he played with it but the thing I don't like about it is that the treats coming out are sporadic. With some of the others he can figure out how to actually get them to come out but with the Buster Cube he just has to roll it around until one finally comes out. In the long run that may kept him entertained more but I feel like if he doesn't know what to do to get them out then he will give up.

I also have given him the Premier Twist and Treat. This one is also good but the opening for the food to come out is bigger than most so bigger treats are needed so it is not pouring out at once. He's puppy food comes out so quickly but I do occasionally seal it with some peanut butter or cream cheese and he loves that. When I go to work I give him that and it is completely cleaned by the time I come home.

The last one I have is the Tug-a-Jug. I don't have much to say on it since he really hasn't got the hang of it. They do have different sizes but the one I have is still pretty big. He wasn't able to get treats out but he did drag it around and bark at it. So I'm hoping that as he grows he will be able to figure out it.

All in all I think that food/treat dispensing toys are a great thing to invest in. I always give him one when I go to work and I just make sure to cut his other food accordingly. Not only do they keep him busy but I feel it works his mind to try and figure out how to get the food out and it is a natural positive reinforcement since it dispenses the treats. You can also give them the toy without treats and just let them play with it. Anything to keep them busy!!